Dr. Fitness and the Fat Guy Weight Loss Radio

Giving You The Skinny On How To Lose Weight. Please visit us at www.drfitnessandthefatguy.com!

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Dr. Adam Shafran Debunks Weightlifting Myths!!!!

These are some of the most common exercise myths related to strength training:
1.High reps for endurance, low reps for strength.
2.Free weights make you more cut than machines.
3.I lift weights and do it at a fast pace, I don’t have to do cardiovascular work? 4.If I lift weights I will lose flexibility and sports like tennis, golf, basketball will affect performance negatively?
1. Stength and endurance are directly related. If I increase strength, I increase endurance. The opposite is true as well. You can also train with high reps and increase strength and you can train with low reps and increase endurance. 2. Resistance is resistance; our bodies don't know the difference between a gallon of water and a dumbell. 3. Cardiovascular exercise has to be have several components in order to gain all of the positive adaptations that the heart gets from training. (sustained elevation of your heart rate for a prolonged period of time , several times/week) Unless you are lifting and doing it non-stop where your heart rate doesn't plummet like a stone and you are doing it for at least 30 minutes, hit the road jack! 4. rackets sports or sports that require finesse and strength at the same time require learned motor patterns. Lifting a weight cannot negatively affect those motor patterns!

1 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Now that I can finally see in cold, hard numbers from my last body fat test that I am actually gaining muscle, I have started to enjoy weight training a whole lot more. I do it for at least 30 minutes and then follow that with 40-60 minutes of cardio (usually 60).

I also make sure to have protein both before and after my workout to help my muscles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home